When today's prompt was to "give a piece of advice you have for others. Anything at all." I had to really think about this. I mean, am I in the position to be giving advice to people? What the heck do I know, I wear scarves in the summer and I have yet to figure out exactly what it is that Meatloaf won't do for love, so what can I possibly say to others that is worth really saying?
I guess the only advice I can really give anyone is to:
• Enjoy any free time. Working full time has made me appreciate any spare moments that much more. I can't go grocery shopping at 11am on a weekday nor can I just sleep in a bit if I feel like it. I absolutely hate the concept of a 9-5 job because I feel as though life should be spent making memories and not making money.
• Take a lot of pictures. My friend, George, died at a young age (23) and I don't have too many photos of him. Part of the reason is because he passed away in 2005 and I didn't own a good quality digital camera back then nor did my little nokia, whose only form of entertainment was the snake game, have a camera attached to it. It takes seconds to just capture a moment on film forever. In the end when we leave this earth those photos will be the only thing to be able to tell our stories to future generations.
• Embrace "bad hair days", some people out there are not lucky enough to have a bad hair day if they are going through an illness or radiation. What seems like an inconvenience to you is something someone out there dreams of having.
• Always hold hands with your significant other. Bubs and I have been together for 5 years now. When we go out in public together 90% of the time his fingers are intertwined with mine (the other 10% is him running away from me because he saw something shiny that he has to touch). When people see how we interact they assumed we've only been together for a few months. I never want to take him for granted and we are constantly wrapped up in each other.
see? Even when he makes me fall out of hammocks we are still holding hands. True love folks.
• Send snail mail. How stoked do you get when you open a letter or package from someone you love? I will never send an "e-card" to anyone, I'm also super sentimental and save a good chunk of my cards and scrap book that shiz.
• Always pack an umbrella and rain boots on vacation. Trust me, if you're going to be exploring Europe or Disney and you have out door activities planned and you do not have the money to be visiting these places more than once you MUST pack this shiz. Extra points if they are super obnoxious looking like mine.
• Buy gifts for people throughout the year. I don't know about you but for me I have to buy christmas presents for at least 25 people, and all those 25 people also have birthdays too. The holidays are stressful enough already and I don't want to be spending 72 hours at the mall the week before christmas trying to buy gifts for all those people in one shot. So instead I buy them in dribs and drabs. If I am out and I see something that I think someone will love I pick it up and hold onto it. Sometimes I do this a few weeks in advance, sometimes its a few months. It saves me money, stress and I usually end up buying my friends and family something nicer if I pick it up when I see it rather then buying something just for the sake of buying something because I ran out of time.
• Wear good quality make up. The only drugstore make up I can get away with is mascara since mama blessed me with some crazy lashes (thanks ma!) I have tried so many different types of drug store make up and none of them hold up and look as nice as the brands i get at Sephora. Maybe you have different experiences with drug store make up and thats ok too! But I find that I save more money by spending a little bit more on good quality make up that lasts longer throughout the day rather then re-applying cheap make up all day long and going through more of it.
• When all else fails, wear sunscreen. Don't know what I'm talking about? Check out this blast from the past
"Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth, but trust me on the sunscreen"
What is some advice you can give me?