Welcome to our link up party! I can't wait to hear what you all are thankful for this year :) hope over to Julie and Erika's pages to see what they are thankful for, and don't forget to link up below!
• Modern Dentistry. With out it I would currently have 3 missing front teeth. Ain't nobody got time for dat.
• The birdie vet. Sherbert (our cockatiel) got super sick a few weeks ago. He wasn't eating or drinking and was sleeping all day. Without our vet I know Sherbert would not have made it. Also his 2 night stay at the vet cost more than staying a week at the Mariot. It's a good thing we like him.
• My Bub. He is my biggest supporter, fan, friend and bed hog. He is constantly poking my nose with his finger as his way of saying "hi babe, I love you" and he is so willing to help me make any display items for Yellow Heart Art. We still hold hands, hug, cuddle and do all the cutesy crap that people do when they first start dating. I am so happy to be marrying him, I am so stoked to be doing life with him.
• Curse words. Sometimes you just need to yell one out to feel better. It's cheaper than therapy.
• My 9 person bridal party. Some people are shocked when I tell them I have 9 girls in my party. It's usually followed by a "whoa girl you crazy!" but ya know what? I'm lucky to have 9 close girls in my life who I love and care about so much to share in my special day with. Each one of them mean the world to me, and I am happy to call them more than friends or cousins or sister-in-laws, but actual sisters. (Pic from my bestie's Courtney's wedding)
• My flat iron. I always told Bub that if we ever have a kid the poor thing would have thee worse hair ever. We both have Italian wavy hair, and if it wasn't for my flat iron my hair would go in every direction but down.
• My customers. I have a special place in my heart for those of you who have ever supported me by purchasing art for your walls, plushes for your couch or stamps for your journals. It means so much to me that you want to spend your hard earned money on something that I created and made with my 2 hands. Its an amazing feeling and I don't think you understand how much it truly makes me feel awesome, loved and hopeful. If I could commence a giant group hug I would.
• Free Shipping. When it comes to buying holiday presents for out of state family members (which is pretty much all of Bub's family) getting free shipping helps tremendously with the added costs. Just let me have this one guys…I know, it's weird.
• Video chat dates with Erika and Julie. They help me refresh, refocus and get motivated to make Yellow Heart Art better than before. I love them and I love the friendship we share with each other. It's also nice hearing their successes and seeing how happy they are about their accomplishments.
• My camera. It allows me to capture a moment on film and remember it forever.
• The ".com" button on my iPhone/iPad keypad. Ok COME ON tell me that is not GENIUS?
• Dancing with Bub's grandfather at his cousin's wedding. I was looking forward to dancing with him at mine and Bub's wedding since I no longer have any grandfathers here with me. He passed away in October but I am grateful I got one dance in with him before it was too late.
• Hugs. They do the body good.
Wanna join in on the thankfulness? Grab a button below to link back to our blogs. Link your blog post below and see what everyone has to be thankful for! Make sure you link to your blog post and not your entire blog. Also, let's play nice in the sand box and link to a post that talks about you being thankful.
Thanksgiving is exactly one week away (I don't even know how that happened, I swear I blacked out sometime between August and November) (it's a good thing I'm not hosting thanksgiving or else my guests would be eating cup-o-noodle)
Me, Julie and Erika are bringing back the "thankful for" link up. Join us next wednesday, November 27th, and share what you are thankful for this year! (for example if you were one of my relatives you would be thankful that you are not going to be carving into the thanksgiving cup-o-noodle this year)
Make sure to link up using a blog post dedicated to what you are thankful for and not to your entire blog (or a fashion post. Even though I'm thankful that you scored some ballin' boots on sale for 12 bucks let's try and play by the rules)
I love reading other people's random traits! I thought I'd join in on the fun.
1. I used to go all out with eye make up back in college. Like, everyday was prom day to me. The thing that got me to stop? My friend Mike asked me to close my eyes. He then took his thumb and rubbed the top of my lid. When I opened them back up there was a perfect Leonora eyeball print on his thumb. The moral of the story: Don't wear so much "everyday" eye make up that it can be left behind on someone's finger.
2. I have been through 2 deployments with Bub. Each one sucked. Each one also brought us closer together at the end, but I never want to go through them again.
3. I rarely wear nail polish. In college I was super hands on with pastels, charcoal, paint…errythang. It was pointless to make them pretty.
4. My eyelashes are permanently "squished" on my left eye. I sleep on my stomach and on the left side of my face. My eyelases are so long that they get bent in every weird direction. I tried to sleep on my back to stop this from happening but then I felt super exposed and weird. Mangled eyelashes it is…
5. I like coupons.
6. Ever since I started seeing Bub I've been more "adventurous". I try more things that are outside my comfort zone, and most things I don't regret doing but I would never do them again (I'm looking at you slingshot ride of death in atlantic city)
7. Over the course of 3 months Bub and I bought a home and got engaged. 2 MAJOR milestones over 90 days.
8. I'm gonna be 30 in a few months and I am totally having a freak out about it. I'm sure future 50 year old me wants to kick current 29 year old me in the shins.
9. I didn't know opening my etsy shop back in 2011 would be as rewarding and fulfilling as it has been.
10. I currently have 3 fake front teeth. I fainted face first down a flight of stairs at age 14 and my face took all the impact. Doctors were shock I didn't snap my neck, I'd like to think I'm meant to be here.
11. I love any and all animals. When I was a kid I would go in our backyard and collect all the frogs to save them from the lawn mower. I also currently own 2 birds because I felt bad that one of them was alone in PetCo in a little plexi glass cage. I am no longer allowed to go to PetCo or any animal shelter because I would bring home all the animals. ALL.THE.ANIMALS.
12. I have such a mental block with math. Why do they mix letters and numbers?
13. I'm a huge germaphobe. I open doors with my elbows and purel after shaking someone's hand. After I got engaged I got sick because everyone was grabbing my hand wanting to see my ring.
14. Bub and I have been together for 5 plus years and we are still as affectionate as we were back then.
15. I'm a cover hog, he's a bed hog.
16. I used to be really musically inclined. In school I was constantly given solos, but I had huge stage fright that I stopped music cold turkey. I started to do more art because you never had to show off your artwork on stage to an entire auditorium of people while wearing some uncomfortable black and white outfit.
17. You guys are gonna think I'm really crazy right now but whenever I find loose change I always count it. Whenever I count it it usually adds up to being "a date" (46 cents = April 6th, 53 cents = May 3rd). The date is usually a loved ones birthday or date of passing who is no longer with me. I'd like to think its divine intervention letting me know that they are with me still.
18. I can't digest garlic or peppers which is hard to avoid when you're 100% italian.
19. I can't wait to get a ton of gray hairs so I can finally dye my hair. I don't want to mess with my natural color, but I always wanted to try to be a redhead.
20. I am a master at car dancing. If I'm at a stoplight and my jam is on the radio you best believe I am going hard.
Holiday shopping is pretty stressful around here. Between combining both mine and Bub's families we have over 25 people to shop for. It gets a little out of control trying to find thee most perfect gift for 25 individual people. Here are some of my tactics I use to try to make the shopping a little less stressful so you don't get stuck duking it out for the last pair of tube socks in walmart on December 23rd.
• Purchase gifts throughout the year. If you see something someone might like just get it! It's easier to buy thee most perfect gift when its presented to you and not later on when you're driving to 34 stores trying to find it again.
• Sign up for newsletters. Yeah, they can get a little annoying, but that's why you make another email account exclusively for newsletter subscription. It'll keep your day-to-day inbox less cluttered and then when you're finally in the mindset to "shop" you can log on to your other account and click through the deals and sales. Most newsletters come with a coupon code or a deal of some sort.
• Pick "a theme" to exchange with some friends or family members. For some of our family members Bub and I are doing an ornament exchange with them. It'll be a nice tradition to start since Bub and I just recently got a home and our poor christmas tree is super bare with extremely cheesy dollar store ornaments to fill up the space. It's great because we get to give each other a sentimental gift and not drive ourselves crazy. I have also done "Pajama Pants" exchanges and "Handmade" exchanges.
Speaking of handmade exchanges: If you own a small business and are interested in swapping items from my shop with your shop please contact me! I am still looking for holiday gifts for my family members and would love to give them unique handmade items. It's a win/win for both of us if you think your family or friends would love something from my shop as well :)
So I had a mini panic attack this morning when I realized that the holidays are, like, weeks away. In the past I was done with most of my shopping by, like, halloween/thanksgiving time (I know, punch me in the throat, I would punch me in the throat too). But this year has been so hectic. Between Bub and I getting engaged, doing wedding shiz, buying a home, renovating the home and having a ton of house guests stay with us I lost my holiday shopping mojo.
So, to get me in the holiday mood I created a holiday accessory mood board!
We finally got our engagement pictures done! One of my bridesmaids, Courtney, rocks the camera like a vandal. She totally hooked a sistah up! I am so in love with these, thank you so much Courtney!
I am so happy with these! Bub was also stoked we incorporated his truck into our shoot. He loves that lil 'ol pick up truck so much, and I love him so it kinda works out ;)
Also that sweet wool capelet I'm wearing? That was the score of the century. It's a French Connection capelet that retailed for over $160, I scored it end of season 2 years ago for 9 bucks. It was one of those moments where you totally try to keep your composure at the cash register when the lady scans it and a single digit pops up. You worry that if you show too much shock they'll realize they did something wrong and that number magically gets multiplied by, like, 10. Virtual high 5s are welcomed and highly encouraged.
Now...who wants to plan our wedding while we go and eat ice cream?
Yellow Heart Art got a facelift recently! I would love to say that it was a quick and painless process but revamping all my product photography, saving as low resolution jpgs, and re-uploading to my shop took for-frekkin-evaaaah.
But, it was so worth it. I love the new clean and polished look. My prints now have a little "environment" to live in and I couldn't be more thrilled. In the past I have totally sucked at product photography. I am waaaaay better at taking pictures of people than things. I think I did a pretty decent job! What do you guys think?
A few of you have asked how I asked my bridesmaids to be a part of mine and Bub's wedding day. I had to wait to show you guys since I wanted to try to ask all my girls in person. It was hard meeting up with everyone so I had to ask the girls over the course of a month.
I created a yarn pom pom flower for the top of the package (to add a lil umph) inside the box was a felt fortune cookie with a fortune inside of it and 2 4x6 prints. One print was the color palette (which I'm sure will change a bagillion and one times before 2015 rolls around) and the other being a list of "vows" for the girls to "vow to me" (don't worry I didn't go all bridezilla, it's all fun things like "help me hold up my dress for what I gotta...ya know... or to reassure me that my bustle does not make my butt look big even though it totally does) (I'm thinking of adding them to the shop)
The fortune inside the cookie read "will you be my bridesmaid?" I added a little pull tab for one of 2 reasons. 1: it's cute. and 2: if they really tried to open the cookie it would be hard to get it back into its cute cookie shape.
If you want a tutorial for the fortune cookie you can use this tutorial here(SIDE NOTE: If you are stumbling on my blog, like, a year from now and the link for the fortune cookie no longer works please dont stalk me via email and ask me to "find the broken link". If someone removes their blog post for the tutorial I can't magically POOF find it. Just google "felt fortune cookie how to". You're welcome, from "future" Leonora)